Northwinds BI Data Cube Demonstration
This demo requires either:
- Microsoft Excel version 2010 or
2012 with PowerPivot
- Microsoft Access version 2000 or higher. Yes, I
mean 2000. The business part is hard but the database technology
required is pretty basic.
- Download Northwind_BI.zip.
- Instructions are in the .zip file in Northwind_BI_ReadMe.doc
Data Answers to Business
Northwind BI is a Business Intelligence (BI) star schema detailing
shipments from the Microsoft Access Northwind database. It is designed
to produce consistent answers to questions like:
- Do we make a profit on each product after you factor in costs?
- What are our sales by Sales Territory?
- What are our shipments by Month? Are there any seasonal trends?
- What are our sales by Marketing Family?
- Are discounts consistent across territories?
It is possible, but not easy, to create queries against the
operational Northwind database to answer these questions. Each person
writing a report may employ different algorithms for calculating values
and create entirely different results from the same data.
Real Life Data Issues Solved
When you create a database to answer business questions, you run
into real life problems.
- The Sales Territories, crucial to the analysis, are not in the
production database but are instead on a spreadsheet kept on the
Sales Manager's PC.
- The Marketing Families are stored on a spreadsheet available only
to the Marketing Manager.
- What is included in product cost?
The "correct" answers to all of these questions will vary from
business to business. The BI database ensures that all organizations in
your business will have consistent answers.
Using the Northwind BI Excel
Search for "Excel pivot table tutorial" or "Excel PowerPivot tutorial"
for detailed instructions on using Excel Pivot Tables.
Copyright 2012, Pine Tree Data Systems